Interview Waiver Program and Drop Box System for U.S. Visa Applications in India
The Interview Waiver Program (IWP), recently introduced in India, allows certain Indian U.S. visa applicants who are applying to renew a visa in the same class of a visa previously issued by a Consulate/Embassy in India, to be considered for a waiver of the visa interview requirement. Waiver of personal appearance is not always guaranteed and consular officers retain the authority to interview any applicant who they determine requires a personal appearance.
You may qualify for IWP and use of the ‘drop box’, ONLY if ALL the following criteria are met:
1) You have a previous U.S. visa in the same class as the visa which you seek to renew;
2) Your previous visa was issued in India after January 1, 2008;
3) You have no refusals for a visa in any category since your most recent visa issuance;
4) If applying for a J, L, or H visa, your prior visa in the same classification with the same petitioner is still valid or expired within the last 12 months;
5) If I applying for a B1/B2 or C1D visa, your prior visa in the same classification is still valid or expired within the last 48 months; and
6) Your prior visa is not annotated “Clearance Received.”
Applicants should remain advised that using the interview waiver or drop box service does not guarantee visa issuance or that you will not have to appear for an interview.
The basics steps for applying involve:
1) Paying the required visa fees.
2) Completing your Non immigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.
3) Registering for an account online.
4) Scheduling an appointment an Offsite Collection Services (OFC) to submit your fingerprints and photograph.
5) If you qualify for drop-box submission, you will receive a drop-box submission letter and will follow the instructions for submitting your application via the Drop Box at a Team Stanley Office; otherwise you will apply through the OFC.
If you believe you qualify, please visit the Indian Visa Application Portal for specific instructions on how to apply.